Ignorance

I don’t understand why we are all so naive and confident as to assume that we must and do know everything right here, right now. You all have nice long rants about “Why we are” and “Scientists cannot replicate”: How “evolution fails” and “right from wrong”. Does anyone else (except myself, obviously) believe that we are all, in fact, ignorant? That evolution does not provide answers, but rather provides a question? That the idea of religion is close minded and stagnant, and the only refutation of evolution they provide is that it is changeable? And the evidence for evolution! Atheists shove “facts” into everyone’s faces, attempting time after time to disprove all Christianity in one final swoop, contradicting the very basis of itself, in that facts are never actually facts, and may never actually be facts, but are merely ideas that place hold for the next fact.

I’m an atheist, i agree with much of what some of you are saying. i still think you’re ignorant.

So far as your point is concerned, I think the big difference between religious people and atheists is that far more atheists will admit that they are ignorant. At least this has been my experience.

I would agree that there are far more questions in the universe than there are answers. That said, I think that science can help us march toward the truth in a way that faith cannot. While evolution does indeed seem to lead to more and more questions, those questions are part of a refining process of knowledge, not a sign of increasing ignorance (as you seem to be implying).

I agree that atheists who attempt to disprove Christianity by “shoving facts into everyone’s faces” may be misguided (and are, at lest, rude), but in those cases where Christians are making specific claims that can be tested, I do think that progress toward truth can be made by testing those claims.

Posted on October 9, 2008 at 8:06 pm by ideclare · Permalink
In: Criticism, Evolution

1. Written by Zabimaru
    on October 15, 2008 at 5:27 am

I don’t understand why so many think that all scientifically minded people claim to know everything. If we thought we knew everything we would see no need for science!

In reality that is more the domain of a certain kind of religious people, who tend to say “my particular holy book gives us all the answers we need” and think that whenever a question is too hard to understand the obvious answer is “God did it!”

We’ve gone through that before, a lot. My ancestors thought that thunder and lightning was caused by the mighty Thor. The Egyptians thought that the sungod Ra was responsible for lighting the sun in the morning and extinguishing it at night. The Christians thought that God put every living creature on earth in the form that it presently has.

All those explanations have the “advantage” of not necessarily raising any new questions, but that also means that they teach us absolutely nothing about the universe. They are just placeholders for those who NEED to feel that they know everything. It is not atheists who usually suffer from that affliction. Especially not scientific atheists, who love the fact that we don’t know it all yet and take joy in finding out more about ourselves and about the world around us.

2. Written by bibleblunders
    on November 1, 2008 at 7:10 pm

I am not here to tell you that Jesus loves you. But I will tell you that the Christians who lamely try to criticize scientific knowledge and rational thought are blind to the many inconsistencies and contradictions in their own scriptures. And I’m not talking about obscure trivial details in the Old Testament, I mean totally incoherent theological doctrine from the New Testament. I’ve posted a lot of these on http://www.bibleblunders.com, with links to more sources. Check it out. (Christians, too – if you dare.)

3. Written by Me
    on November 9, 2008 at 9:38 pm

umm, I think you’re a little confused, you’re saying you are an atheist, but describing the philosophy (as well as implying it is your philosophy) of agnosticism. Just a thought…
    Nothing wrong with being Agnostic! In fact, I completely agree with you! No one knows, or will ever know the answers to such debates!

4. Written by Dustan Purdy
    on December 5, 2008 at 1:35 pm

Atheists are simply awesome… thats about all there is to it!

5. Written by Brandon
    on December 5, 2008 at 1:43 pm

I think that many regilous people are very foolish. They usally get their religon from their parents. Mostly atheists pick up their understandings along the way, using facts. I, myself, is a atheist because of reasons. We have very good theories and great facts. I was atheist ever since age five. some religous people overdo it on their religon and try to enforce other people to belive it. They should take out the in god we trust on money.

6. Written by whatkaileysaid
    on December 16, 2008 at 5:59 pm

hey, i just want to thank you for putting yourself directly in the noose of mainly christian nonsense. i went to a catholic school for fourteen years and that in itself led me to stop believing in god etc. i know the bible, very well, in fact i managed to bullshit so thoroughly i maintained one of the highest averages in “religion” class. anyways i am just impressed in the way youve been handling peoples accusations and whatnot.

i found most interesting the argument of, “if you dont believe in god then you believe in satan” i would love to have some input on that: if we believe that santa claus, god, and the toothfairy don’t exist, then clearly we would not believe in “satan.”

if i may i would like to present a question to all these theists out there:

If you don’t believe in the thousands of other gods that have come and past in human civilization why do you find it so hard to understand that atheists just go one god further?

7. Written by Kozz
    on January 12, 2009 at 10:15 pm

Actually we can be very certain there is no god of any description that has been proposed by any current or past religion just by the simple fact that they are all based on exactly the same complete and total lack of foundational evidence (We all know this don’t we?). In other words we can be as sure of his nonexistence as we are of any past gods or anything we could make up on a whim. This, without even considering the scientific, psychological, philosophical and logical arguments that when taken together make the existence of god even less likely than something we could make up on the spot since we actually know the history of religion, and we can understand the psychological reasons people might invent it, and we can make philosophical arguments like “well where did god come from then” that negates any reality based need for him in the first place. God doesn’t exist. That is a statement any thinking man should be able to confidently make. The fact that it is still so hard for many to say is a testament to just how deep religion has sunk it’s fangs into not just believers, but non believers as well.