Another agnostic

I highly doubt the existence of a God. I believe observable evidence points to the lack of a God. I do, however hold agnostic beliefs. I accept the fact that the only definite truth is that we exist. There may indeed be a God, who is hiding his existence to you for an unknown purpose. Unlikely? Yes. Impossible? NO! Maybe a God a created the universe with a big bang and then went on his merry way. Maybe he is watching through methods you cannot comprehend. What if God really was a total power hungry asshole and he just wants you to blindly worship him or hes throwing you to the depths of hell?

As an atheist you are making a stand. You do not believe in a God nor do you believe in the possibility of a God. How is it that you realize the ignorance of believing in a God, but not the ignorance of being so sure that there is no God?

You are right that I do not believe in God, but you are wrong that I do not believe in the possibility of a God. I agree that it would be ignorant to assert that there are not deities without proof. I do not assert that there are no deities. I only assert that I do not believe in any deities; hence I am an atheist. If I come across compelling proof that a deity exists, then I won’t be an atheist any more.

Now let me ask about your beliefs. You say that it is unlikely that God exists, but that you are agnostic on the subject. How unlikely do you think it is that God exists? More unlikely than it is that talking zebras exist? If God is more unlikely than talking zebras, would you describe yourself as agnostic about talking zebras? If your child asked you if talking zebras existed, would you answer “Maybe”?

My point is that I don’t understand why you treat your knowledge about the existence of God differently than you treat your knowledge about the existence of other things (assuming you do), and I do not understand why you both refer to yourself as agnostic and talk about evidence for God’s existence. If you do not believe that God exists but allow the possibility that your mind will change in the future, then at the moment you do not believe that God exists and can correctly refer to yourself as an atheist. If you think it is not possible to prove or disprove the existence of deities, then you are an agnostic regardless of whether or not you believe deities exist.

From your description of yourself, you sound like an atheist to me. If I am misunderstanding you and you do not think that proof of the existence of deities is possible one way or the other, then you are an agnostic atheist. Would you agree?

Posted on January 23, 2009 at 11:52 pm by ideclare · Permalink
In: About atheism, Agnosticism

on January 24, 2009 at 4:43 pm

… You seem to not understand the definition of atheist. As an atheist you believe there is no God. You claim to be an atheist, yet you admit to the possibility of the existence of a God. This makes you agnostic. If you accept that you cannot answer this question you are agnostic.

2. Written by Walt Disney
    on February 3, 2009 at 9:13 am

Author of this site really needs to look up what ‘Agnostic’ means.. or maybe just *understand* it. That was a terrible response.
    “…but you are wrong that I do not believe in the possibility of a God…”
    - That is the very definition of agnostic.

Not to say I don’t find the aethiest extremity hilarious and for the most part, useful to refer to when trying to ‘smack some sense’ into idiots that get carried away with how great their god(s) are.

Oh well. It’s all in good fun (I hope; massive countrywide and worldwide wars lasting years have started over this kind of crap).

3. Written by Kate
    on February 18, 2009 at 3:49 pm

Excellent! “If I come across compelling proof that a deity exists, then I won’t be an atheist any more.” <– I have definitely been searching for a way to sum that sentiment up so concisely. Thank you.

4. Written by michaelfeb16
    on April 6, 2009 at 10:18 pm

Anon and Walt really need to get their facts straight or at least let me know what messed up dictionary they use.

Atheist: “one who believes that there is no deity”

Agnostic:: “a person who holds the view that any ultimate reality (as God) is unknown and probably unknowable”

..and it fits his statement’s perfectly
    I do not believe that there is any type of god in existence; thus, I am an atheist.
    I do believe that it is possible to prove that a god does exist, if it does; therefore, I am not agnostic.

I believe that you may being confusing a generic god with the Jedeo-Christian god. That god is easily disprove through conflicting qualities.

5. Written by Tom_M
    on July 30, 2011 at 10:19 am

michaelfeb16 writes about the definitions of the two viewpoints… at least SOMEONE uses the right dictionary!