Tract #52: Why Do Atheists Pick on Christians?

Tract #52, Why Do Atheists Pick on Christians?, is ready for you to print and hand out. Download it, see page #3 for printing instructions, and let me know your comments! Thanks!

052_attacking-christians.pdf

Why Do Atheists Pick on Christians?

There are a great many religions in the world, so why is that — at least in the United States — atheists seem to attack Christians more than any other religious group? Do atheists have a particular bias against Christianity?

In general, atheists do not think that Christianity deserves more or less scrutiny than any other religion. But in the U.S., there are a number of reasons that Christianity often gets more atheist attention.

A great many atheists were not born atheists, but rather came to atheism as their philosophy developed. Because a large number of atheists are former Christians, they have significant familiarity with Christianity, and it is natural for them to use Christian beliefs as examples in discussion. Because these people had the experience of putting aside Christian beliefs, they may also be much more familiar with arguments against Christianity than they are with arguments against other religions.

In some cases, atheists who are former Christians lost their religion for personal reasons that left them angry at their former church. Such atheists may speak against Christians in particular in the same way that a man who went through a bitter divorce might speak against all woman, even though he’s really just mad at one woman in particular.

The U.S. also has an abundance of Christians who actively attempt to convert others to Christianity. An atheist is almost never approached by Muslims, Jews, Buddhists, pagans, etc., on a mission of conversion. Because the atheist is more frequently confronted by Christians, the atheist naturally develops more responses to Christian arguments.

Christians and Christian groups also tend to be very high profile. They frequently appear in the news arguing that laws should be passed for religious reasons, claiming that they are under attack by atheists or scientists, and thanking Jesus for various blessings. If Christianity is the religion that atheists are confronted by the most, it is natural for them to think first of Christianity when the topic of religion arises.

There are also a number of Christian groups that are either small but very vocal or that have religious practices that atheists may find particularly incomprehensible, ridiculous, or cultish. These include young-earth creationists, Biblical literalists, snake handlers, Christians who reject modern medicine, and some closed-community Christian groups. Even many Christians agree that some of these people are poor examples of Christianity, and some atheists single them out for ridicule because, frankly, they’re easy targets.

So, in a nutshell, atheists in general don’t have a particular goal of attacking Christianity. If another religion were more prominent in the United States, or if Christians did not so often try to make their religion the focus of current issues and discussions, odds are that atheists wouldn’t have much reason to speak about it.

Posted on November 15, 2009 at 10:11 pm by ideclare · Permalink
In: Anti-religion, Tract

1. Written by Jon the Southern Baptist
    on December 8, 2009 at 10:13 pm

The reason that atheists attack Christianity is because they don’t want to hear about it. It makes them apprehensive and puts them on the defense. I have my degree in substance abuse counseling and when you confront an abuser, the first thing they do is get defensive and angry. They know it is wrong, but if feels so good to them. The same analogy can be made for atheists. If feels good to have no accountability for yourself. If there is no God, then sin doesn’t matter. The REAL REASON that they become angry is because they are confronted with the Truth. Every time that I try to have a rational discussion with an atheist about Christianity, they bring it up not me, they always resort to name calling and personal attacks even when I have been kind, patient, and non-judgmental. Of course this is a self-evaluation, but it makes it easy to note that I don’t attack them, their beliefs, or their character yet they always “go there.” Usually, they try to put me on the defensive and challenge me to defend my beliefs. Which I do, then when they can make no counter argument they go below the belt. I use science to defend myself, not the Bible. So why then do atheists act this way? Because God is real and so is Lucifer, the father of all lies. They are being influenced by pure evil incarnate.

2. Written by Brynja
    on January 1, 2010 at 7:29 pm

I’m an atheist and I would say that the biggest reason why atheist attack Christians more than other religion is because Christians are not as peacefull in their religion as other religions. Atheists are against Christians putting their beliefs, rules and laws from the bible into the government and schools. Religion should only be studied in their house of worship and Christians are the only ones that try so hard to convert atheists.

3. Written by Kristina
    on February 8, 2010 at 7:03 pm

I am a non-denominational Christian. I can’t say I ever was athiest, but I can say that I never believed in the bible like I do now. It is really hard to see some of the Christians I see today, misrepresenting Christ, and it really gets to me. My favorite quote is “I like your Christ, I dont not like your Christians, they are nothing like your Christ.”-ghandi. This is unbelievably true. So many Christians today make the Christians who really care, look horrible. As Christ loved all people, we as Christians should do the same, and we tend to forget that. If it so happends that a Christian tries to convert an athiest, you should take time to listen to how it has changed thier life, rather than get defensive, because it could change yours. Do a little research on the Bible itself, and investigate some of the stories that have been proven to be true, by science. I think many athiests are very ignorant to the fact that the “good Christians” (if there are very many left) are only trying to help them. They know that there is an unbelievable afterlife if you accept Christ as your savior, and we want all of Gods children to experience that. If you don’t want it, you have a right to deny it, obviously. Another thing that really gets to me, personally, is that many athiests believe that Christianity is poisoning the world, when in reality, the world is poisoning Christianity. Most Christians don’t really realize how easy we have it here in the United States when it comes to religious rights. People die everyday in other countries for worshiping Jesus. Not just die, they are tortured, hung, shot, stuffed into metal shipping container, etc, all because they have accepted Jesus as thier personal savior. It’s disguisting, and truely very sad. And while knowing this is all going on, only one thing comes to mind, John 15:18 “If the world hates you, keep in mind it hated me first.”

In my conclusion, I really hope that all athiests find it in thier heart to accept Jesus. Probable? No, not very. But possible. Just know, that not all Christians are good ones, but dont let those “Christians” speak for all of us. There are some of us who care about everyone, regaurdless of belief, or anything else. Just as Jesus would have. :)

4. Written by JCR
    on June 28, 2010 at 8:41 am

A well written piece and very much defines the main reasons that I, as an atheist, argue against Christianity more so than other religions. As illustrated in the comments of this post, we often face christian arrogance as it attempts to define us. Look at Jon’s post. First, he compares us to an abuser and lets tells us that we know it is wrong, that we have no accountability and that christianity is the truth. Jon, do you even realize the arrogance of your post? You not only suppose to know us, our motivations and what we think. But you also presume to know the absolute truth of the universe.

You then go on to state how you do not attack or judge atheists belief. I will assume that you do not even realize how you have already done that by attempting to claim to know our motivations and by indirectly calling our beliefs wrong. yes, if you start out by saying that you know the truth, then you are implicitly saying that any who does not believe as you do is wrong.

I like how you claim to back up your beliefs with science, yet fail to mention any of the mechanisms you use. I would be interested in hearing how science supports your religious views.

You state that we atheists have “no accountability for yourself.” Which shows how little logic you are actually employing in your evaluation of atheism. Atheists are utterly accountable for themselves. Unlike christians who like to claim a lack of accountability for things by calling things the work of god or the work of the devil, atheists know that we have only ourselves to account for our actions and the results. We get no free pass on our actions and have no one else to blame.

The approach by Jon is typical. A not so veiled attack on atheists and atheism, then claiming persecution. Gee, why do people resort to reacting to you exactly as you act towards them?

5. Written by asknight
    on July 1, 2010 at 9:45 am

i think there is a prop with atheists and its they wont stop bugging me about my cross i wear one round my neck my dad gave it to me and there many are people i know and joke around with say why do you wear that there is no god that jesus wasnt real and im like dude i didnt say anything about your beliefs i didnt try to get you to belief what i belief why should you try to make me belief what you belief and alot of them say cuz theres no god but thats the prop why do they think just because they belief in something i should have to aswell

just looked back and my bad spelled all the believes wrong

6. Written by Barbara
    on August 1, 2010 at 4:45 pm

JCR — Jon’s post becomes a lot more palatable when you pretend he’s speaking for the athiests calling Christians the ones who are addicted to their superstitions/drugs. Otherwise, you are completely right.

Me? I am a Universalist. It is my duty to take all opinions in as a cultured adult.

7. Written by Raul
    on February 7, 2011 at 1:00 pm

Surely the reason why atheists pick on christianity is simply because its a much easier target than most of the other world religions in terms of theology and belief. Jesus’ life story is essentially an amalgamation of several near eastern myths that were around at the time (Horus and Krishna being the two most important) and the inaccuracies of the bible are because it was written by many different authors and was never really a true history of the world. Christianity is a lame duck religion that is so flawed logically that it is easy to single it out. Atheists would have a much harder time debunking Hinduism or Buddhism, and thats probably the reason why we never hear prominent atheists attacking those faiths.

8. Written by Warrior of God
    on February 18, 2012 at 7:21 am

You attack Christians because you are fulfilling the reavalations about end times. Also, Christ said that you would because he to was tempted. If God did not have this done, what are you wasting your life away argue something that didn’t happen. You won’t change either way (weather it’s true or false). Biblically, that is why you attack Christ!

9. Written by Vlad the Inhaler
    on August 4, 2012 at 8:17 am

Religious types should get over their tremendous egos. Attacking you is not attacking Christ. Hell, these people aren’t even attacking you, they’re ridiculing your stupid ideas. As someone once said, if you don’t want to be laughed at for your beliefs, stop having such laughable beliefs!