Rape: not so bad?

From the IAmAnAtheist feedback form:

You made fun of what I said about Christian women rather being raped than commit murder by saying that I haven’t asked a lot of women about this. That was snide but it didn’t answer my point, which is that rape doesn’t justify murder. Rape is nasty and it’s a sin (it’s adultery because they aren’t married and if the woman is a virgin or married it’s theft) but you can’t kill someone because of adultery or theft. Would you kill someone who your husband had relations with? That’s murder. Would you kill someone who stole your car? That’s murder. If killing for rape is murder than killing for just attempting to rape is even worse. The person’s dying for something they haven’t even done.

Atheists always use rape as an argument for justifying killing because they want to justify abortion. But is rape really that bad? It’s a horrible experience but you get over it with time. If you use it to justify murder you’re never going to get over it. Imagine you have a painful divorce. Would you murder your children after because they remind you of your ex husband? Of course not. I think any woman would easily tell you that a painful divorce is worse than rape but it’s not an excuse to kill your baby, so why is rape?

Christian women can also take a lot more than atheist women. Maybe this is part of the reason that atheists get so hung up about this. Christian women can turn to Christ or worship God in their hearts and endure great suffering. I’m not belittling it but think about it, no amount of suffering from rape is as great as the suffering our Lord suffered on the cross for our sins. You are the one who has to ask more true Christian women about this. You’re out of touch and trying to make a big deal out of something just for shock value.

Wow. I don’t even know where to start responding to this. You, frankly, seem to have no idea how bad rape is. Comparing it to something as impersonal as an auto accident seems to highlight your lack of understanding. Your implication that I’m getting “hung up” on something that’s not “a big deal” doesn’t earn you any sympathy points, either.

Your closing remark about how much more a Christian woman can withstand is just bizarre to me. Are you saying it causes less harm to rape a Christian woman because the Christian woman can take it? I’d appreciate it if you’d tell me I’m wrong about this.

I’d also appreciate your telling me that I misunderstood part of your justification for rape being a sin. You say it’s a sin because it’s either adultery or theft, but wouldn’t that mean that it’s not a sin if a man rapes his wife?

Please spend some significant time thinking over opinion on this subject. Even better, talk to a pastor or a number of women about it. Honestly, I find your point of view creepy.

Posted on May 12, 2010 at 5:25 pm by ideclare · Permalink
In: Morality

1. Written by Ithinkyoureanidiotandajerk
    on May 19, 2010 at 3:14 pm

Really? Rape is better than a divorce? Tell that to the girls who have died from the bleeding. oohh yeah, you can’t because they’re dead.

on May 19, 2010 at 3:52 pm

WOW

3. Written by Celeste
    on May 19, 2010 at 4:15 pm

So… you ever been raped? You know what it feels like and what it takes to get over it?

I’m guessing not.

4. Written by Ashleigh
    on May 19, 2010 at 4:52 pm

Have you ever spoken to someone who has been raped? It’s not something you “get over”.
    Quite frankly, I think you’re a pretentious twit who needs to think A LOT before you spew your tripe everywhere.

on May 19, 2010 at 7:10 pm

This guy seems to have some serious emotional, cognitive and behavioral issues. Not only does he sound like a complete psycho but his constant justification makes me question whether he, himself, is a rapist. I would not be surprised. Someone who comes up with that many excuses about committing rape must be trying to make himself feel justified.

6. Written by Michael
    on May 19, 2010 at 7:28 pm

Source please.

7. Written by ideclare
    on May 19, 2010 at 8:51 pm

I’ve added a source (the site’s feedback form). Thanks for the suggestions.

8. Written by Dale
    on May 19, 2010 at 9:58 pm

I’ve only known one woman who I knew had been raped. She said it was pretty bad, but she mostly had gotten over it. If she hadn’t told me I would never have suspected.

Recently my daughter called me at 3:30 in the morning. She had had a dream about being raped. She was pretty disturbed by it, couldn’t get back to sleep, couldn’t get out of bed to check if she was safe. She said it wasn’t really violent, there was this corpulent man who sat down at her table while she was eating lunch, and he kept getting closer as they spoke and before she knew it he had her so that she couldn’t get away.

Before that, she tried to be sympathetic, but she’s kind of a hard-nosed person who wills herself to get over injury and trauma. She said that now she understood why women who are raped react the way they do, and the psychological problems they may have. She said she’d have a hard time ever feeling safe again. I told her I’d teach her some self-defense techniques, and after an hour or so she calmed down and got back to sleep.

Now when I want to teach her self-defense, she doesn’t want to do it. What’s up with that? Instincts and strength can only get you so far, but there are a few things you can learn that can take you a long way if you just train enough that they become second nature.

• Written by galthwaite
      on July 3, 2010 at 11:40 am

You know lots of women who have been raped, you just don’t know they have been raped.

9. Written by JanetForLife
    on May 19, 2010 at 10:36 pm

I can’t think of anything else to say that other’s haven’t said except the author of that post is RETARDED.

10. Written by Richard Eis
    on May 20, 2010 at 3:18 am

-The Bible tells us that raped women are only to be killed if they don’t scream when they are raped:-

Charles Allen, missing the point by a whole universe. Dude… shutup, you aren’t helping your religion by opening your mouth.

Am i really to believe that whispering is the new murder?? Why do you people think anyone should take you and your totally cruel, and frankly, batshit insane book seriously?

11. Written by Muffin
    on May 20, 2010 at 6:05 am

Maybe someone will rape this guy up the butt. Rape isn’t so bad, really! He’s a Christian, he can handle it.

12. Written by theultimate747
    on May 20, 2010 at 7:54 am

My wife was raped growing up and she has not gotten over it, during her time as a christian or after. It could be that her Christian parents did nothing about it the first or second time it occurred or possibly because you just don’t get over something like that. I personally will not speak to one of her relatives, a good christian woman, again because she as well said that she just needs to get over it.

I think rapists need to target these christian women more frequently from now on, they can get what they want and they wont have to feel a bit of guilt because their victims can handle it better with god.

I hope they make a weekly thing of it, rape on Saturday and church/therapy with god on Sunday.

13. Written by Renee
    on May 20, 2010 at 8:31 am

“I think any woman would easily tell you that a painful divorce is worse than rape”

Yeah… um… no. I don’t think ANY woman would tell you that.

14. Written by Cassandra
    on May 20, 2010 at 8:51 am

i, as a christian, i am horrified by this moron trying to identify with my christ. as a christian woman(and one who was raped), i think i’d like to take his head between my hands and bash his face in with my knee a few times. the act of rape is horrific. it’s a violation to the Nth degree and one i dearly hope he gets to experience someday so his eyes will really be opened. this is no christian. this creature is barely even human. and for the others commenting on this, please don’t let the words of a few mentally crippled, emotionally stunted fools color how you look at the rest of us. the majority of us would hear this idiot and punch him in the face.

• Written by DaniL
      on January 8, 2011 at 11:02 am

I agree. This *thing* is no Christian. Just a troll trying to act like he knows it all. Sick sick sick…

15. Written by Jezebel
    on May 20, 2010 at 10:35 am

As someone who has been raped, as angry as this dumbfuck made me reading his post, I would never wish the horror and accompanying emotions of being raped upon him or anyone else. I think that we can all agree that what he says is stupid, ill-founded and ignorant, but I think we should all stop calling out for him to be raped. I know that if he was raped, and I had posted somewhere that I wanted him to be raped to “see what it feels like” or to “see how long it takes him to get over it”, I would feel guilty for the rest of my days.

In my opinion, wishing rape on someone is as bad as saying rape is something women should just get over. They are both ignorant, short sighted viewpoints, generated by hatred and the belief that YOUR opinion is the only RIGHT one. This belief is why I don’t follow an organized religion, and generally look down on them.

Everyone has an opinion, and as angry and hurt as it makes me to read or see an ignorant opinion posted anywhere, I will defend your right to voice that opinion. That’s what freedom of speech is all about. I may not agree with you, I may find your comments hurtful and ignorant, oppressive, and rue that fact that they are so far away from my own opinions, but you still have a right to vocalize them, and in the end all I can do is just wish for a better educational system, more people to vocalize the opinions I hold dear, and open-mindedness enough to discuss said opinions in a non-confrontational way.

I’m not defending this guy, far from it, it just really disturbs me to see such normally intelligent people reduced to the level of the hypocrisy filled Christians. There are a lot of really great posts here that debunk what he is saying without a call for retribution.

Anyways, all this is just my opinion, but guys, no matter how angry something like this makes you, I personally (as a survivor) don’t hold the opinion that anyone deserves to be raped.

on May 20, 2010 at 11:24 am

Jezebel: Thank you for an awesome post!

• Written by Christabel
      on March 8, 2011 at 10:34 pm

I just read your post, after my very angry message that I posted on here. I agree that no one should wish another person to be raped, but I think what some people (including myself) meant is that he is so ignorant on this issue that if it happened to him, he wouldn’t be saying this bullshit. My comment, “perhaps you should be raped up your ass and then come and talk about” is very vulgar (I wrote it in a rage), but it’s not meaning to say I hope he gets raped, but that he shouldn’t be saying the things he is saying because he has no idea how it feels.

16. Written by Elizabeth Young
    on May 20, 2010 at 7:51 pm

Clearly this was written by a man who has never loved a woman before. I can’t believe it’s considered “theft” to this person. Whoever you are, I understand that the Christian religion forbids murder, but does it forbid self defense? People don’t use rape to justify abortion because the mother will be reminded of the incident by the child, it’s because the event occurred through no fault of her own and if she is not ready to be a parent, a single one for that matter, at that point in her life, she should not be forced to do so or endure the physical risks that come along with giving birth.

17. Written by K
    on May 20, 2010 at 9:20 pm

I understand this is an atheist blog and that thus you and your readers are inclined to look upon all religious people as ignorant or misguided or whatever. But I wish your readers would refrain from assuming that they can judge an entire group of people based on the ignorant and offensive words of one of them.

I’m a Christian. I find the comments made by the Christian above horrifyingly offensive. But I’m also offended (albeit significantly less so) by the commenters who’ve said things like “there are no ‘real christians’ except for hypocrites.”

There are Christians who don’t at all believe what this poster has said. There are Christians who don’t believe the world is only 6000 years old. There are even female Christians who don’t believe they’re some man’s property (gasp!).

on May 20, 2010 at 9:52 pm

“I know there are a lot of insane things being said these days in the name of Christianity. But we don’t all believe them. Please don’t assume that we do.”

I certainly don’t make such an assumption. And as for the poster, he’s not an embarrassment to Christians, he’s an embarrassment to humanity.

18. Written by Dae
    on May 21, 2010 at 2:34 am

Just because someone identifies themselves as a Christian, doesn’t always mean it is so. There are many many many so-called Christians on this earth that hold blatant disregard for the book they say is holy.

I am a Christian. I do not agree with abortion, unless it is a health issue. There have been studies to show that abortion has many negative effects, both mental and physical, long term and short term.

However, I strongly disagree with the point of view presented here. Rape is evil. There is no two ways about it. Never in my life have I been told a story about rape, and not been disgusted and utterly saddened. I think rape, in any form, is abhorrent, be it paedaphilia, adult, within marriage, out of marriage, against a Christian or a non-Christian, whatever. Comparing it to theft or adultery is belittling it. It is violent and invasive. If a Christian woman came to me and told me she was considering abortion of a rape induced pregnancy, I would counsel her on the implications, both mental and physical about her decision, and tell her to pray for guidance from the Lord. If it was a non-Christian woman I would do much the same. But, as a Christian, it is not my place to pass judgement, especially on the non-Christian. It IS my responsibility, however, to love my fellow man (or woman).

I ask each of you that read this, to not consider what is said above, by a heartless and ignorant ‘christian’ as canon followed by the Christian community as a whole, but rather the opinion of a single individual that has seemingly fallen short of our Christ’s second commandment. Love your neighbour as yourself.

I’ll get off my soapbox now.

19. Written by Chiara
    on May 21, 2010 at 3:05 am

Honestly, I think you need to see a good doctor! And I’m not saying that to insult you. BUT if you can’t see the difference from a divorce and a rape, you really NEED help.

You’re putting on the same level stealing a car and raping a woman. It’s like teach a child that stealing a candy and beating a schoolmate to death is the same.

Have you any idea what a raped woman go through? Close your Bible and start to live in the Real world. Then AFTER you read it again. And you’ll understand thing a little better. Your position is totally unacceptable for a civil world. Thinking like that is the same level of people who kill a woman after she has been raped. And if raping a woman is like stealing a car, raping a child is what? stealing a bike?

I seriously think is a illness for the society that people can think in this sic way.

(I apoligize for any grammar & spelling error, English isn’t my first language)

20. Written by Kelly
    on May 21, 2010 at 4:32 am

What a disgusting human being. I respectfully disagree with Jezebel’s post, acknowledging her very compassionate, reasonable words. But I think some people *do* deserve retribution, and have often wished I could believe in karma of any kind. I think the anger and the rage, wishing ill on this person, is understandable and justified. I don’t think it’s ignorant at all. It’s natural for a human being to want justice, and it’s natural when someone is out there making the world a worse place, to wish that evil reflected back upon him or her.

21. Written by Muffin
    on May 21, 2010 at 12:59 pm

I wasn’t wishing he gets raped as a form of retribution. I’m merely stating that if he gets raped, he’ll have the experience necessary to talk about such things and be able to say with authority “rape is not so bad!” Besides, Christians can handle suffering! Or..is it only Christian women that can and must endure suffering?

22. Written by jimz
    on May 27, 2010 at 4:52 pm

Hey can you all relax??

First, this person may be trolling. In fact, your responses may be entirely what this person anticipated.

So just be anger and not feed the troll. These people come and go, voicing idiocy or trolling wherever they please. Ignoring these individuals will make them realize they are no longer heard in this society.

So just chill out!!

23. Written by dasUberputer
    on May 27, 2010 at 11:56 pm

I am amazed that anyone would be so unAmerican and unenlightened as to criticize anyone for giving voice to one of the other sides of an issue. Democracy can’t function and society cannot progress if unpopular voices are censored. For example, I am certain to provoke a lot of stupid remarks if I point out that for many women the only difference between a rape and a fun night out is in the eye of the beholder. And stop lying – if someone is harmed from physical abuse that occurred during a rape then that is assault, not rape – they are two different things. Just because they sometimes occur at the same time does not mean that they are the same thing.

on May 28, 2010 at 6:55 am

@dasUberputer: Is this one of those “troll” posts that people keep warning me about?

24. Written by saywut
    on May 28, 2010 at 12:59 pm

lol @ dasUberputer. I guess the only difference between murder and an unfortunate accident is in the eye of the beholder as well. Surely thou trolleth.

25. Written by Brandon
    on May 31, 2010 at 7:14 pm

@ dasUberputer: How is actively taking up someone’s argument and posting it far and wide for everyone to see “censoring” his voice? Also, how can you be against criticizing others’ views when you yourself just criticized others’ views in your own post? Should no one have any beliefs or convictions about anything? If so, you just violated that too. And why not denounce the Christian poster for criticizing atheists’ views then, if criticizing a voice giving a side to an issue is bad?

In short, nothing you just said made any sense.

@ everyone else: Let the destroying of this idiot’s “rape’s not so bad” arguments continue!

26. Written by Trebez
    on June 1, 2010 at 11:41 am

I appreciate the outrage over this uneducated and offensive quote, however please do not lump all Christians in with the person who said this. Believe it or not, many people who follow the Christian faith are advocates of a woman’s right to choose and are accepting of an individuals right to sexuality (whether they be married, single, strait or gay.)
    Its unfortunate that these extremists are the face of my religion. But I can only hope that people can see past the religious cause this person claims to pursue and recognize that this is the result of stupidity, not faith.

The things that this person said are horrifying, and I am terrified to think that there are people out there who think this way.

Sorry for the rant, but I really dislike having idiots represent me.

27. Written by grennah
    on June 13, 2010 at 11:45 am

to Survivor: Your comment has touched me. I really hope you’re living a good life now.

I haven’t been through anything near the calamity of rape, but I’ve had friends and relatives who had, some of which having committed suicide afterward. And they were “women of faith”.
    This person’s arguments are out of place on so many levels, and I’m not going to waste my time extracting each one and explain in detail.
    I wish to this person that Reincarnation is real and he is reborn into a woman who is forced into prostitution, without birth control or protection. “God” will surely keep him/her strong enough.

28. Written by galthwaite
    on July 3, 2010 at 11:55 am

I don’t understand the apologist Christians here begging that we don’t lump Christians together. Christians believe that the Bible is the word of God and in the Bible it says in many places that women are not equal to men and must be controlled. It dictates their sexual behavior, who they must marry, what jobs they can do, what clothes they can wear, etc. It explains how rape is a normal thing to do when you invade a country! Of course Christians should all be lumped together. They all use the same book and all believe it is the word of God! Holy smokes. If you dont believe it, you are not a Christian, so maybe that is why you are confused. You are in a religion where you are picking and choosing when it is socially convenient. Read your book and see just how morally repugnant you god really is! Your presence in the christian churches gives cover for the misogynistic and bigoted creeps that you claim are not real Christians. Read the book- they are actually following the instructions, the “nice” Christians are the ones who aren’t.

• Written by Take a chill pill, please.
      on August 9, 2010 at 9:56 pm

@galthwaite: Have you read the Bible? Every word? In context? Do you realize that the majority of its contents are just stories to guide people and that they weren’t intended to be followed “to a T”? Have you studied, in depth, the contexts in which each portion was written? Were you a Christian or did you grow up in a Christian home? Do you understand that Christianity is not one solid, cohesive religion? Why do you think there are so many denominations? Christianity has always been controversial, originally because it was viewed as threatening (and I’m sure sometimes, in some places around the world, it still is). Please don’t “lump all Christians together” for the sake of saying their “holy book is not being followed”. If you are not a part of that faith, then you have no right to criticize it.

There are variants in every faith. Christianity is no different. Personally, I believe there is a higher power. Am I going to say which faith (be it Christianity, Islam, Buddhism, Shintoism, Wicca, whatever) is the “correct” faith? Absolutely not. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and their own belief system.

In today’s society it is sad that we have people who think they can use a faith to justify anything they want. Rape is a horrible thing in any context. It cannot be compared to any other pain, physically or emotionally, and should not be wished on anyone, no matter how utterly stupid they may be.

29. Written by Hukeyohi
    on August 28, 2010 at 1:02 am

You all got Trollolololled XD

30. Written by Sierra
    on September 8, 2010 at 4:04 pm

31. Written by Sierra
    on September 8, 2010 at 4:18 pm
  32. Written by anon
    on October 14, 2010 at 3:11 pm

I have read over what alot of people have posted in response to this un-human writer! He obviously has no clue about human emotions and how severly you can damage someone’s perceptions of life by raping or abusing in any way! I have never been raped but I was sexually abused by my own father when I was 10! It messed up my mind so badly and although I am moving on with my life and have a child of my own, I can never get over how anyone could take something so precious from me and that is my trust! I feel I cannot trust anyone to look after my child other than those who protected me as a child! I am a single mother 21 years old and do not know how I will ever have a relationship again hard times. When you hear these messed up perceptions of life like ‘being raped isn’t that bad when you have god’ this coming from a christian-someone you would expect to be able to trust, you then don’t know who you can trust, who’s minds are so wrong! I think the article was written by a christian phycopath! I do not judge a christian for their beliefs and I have a christian friend who has told me to forgive my father, for my own sake – that is her way of dealing with things, I have considered religion to help me through hard times, but just cannot get my head around the forgiveness thing! Some things are just unforgivable! Rape and abuse is stealing something so precious from any person and breaking something you can never replace!!!!

33. Written by James
    on January 4, 2011 at 9:04 pm

This post has made me officially give up religion, god, and all forms of believing there is a good in the world.

34. Written by Jessica
    on January 5, 2011 at 6:22 pm

I’m a Christian, and I don’t agree with this fool. Clearly ,he’s never experienced the trauma of rape. His suggestion that it’s easier than divorce is ridiculous. I have been in both situations, and I can say that the divorce was no where nearly as painful. I got over the divorce with the help of friends and loved ones, AND my children because they remind me that our relationship was worth it because I was graced with 2 beautiful children. But the fact is, no one ever “gets over” rape, they learn to cope. You never completely heal, you learn to live on.

35. Written by Jennifer
    on January 10, 2011 at 11:58 am

Quite obviously, this person is NOT a Christian; I hesitate to say they are human. They have some serious issues they need to be locked in a mental institution for and treated, in the case that (as the fifth person to comment suggested) they are trying to justify one of their actions. I’m deeply disturbed by this sick, twisted person.

36. Written by Mac
    on January 19, 2011 at 6:30 am

“Are you saying it causes less harm to rape a Christian woman because the Christian woman can take it?”

Yes, if she has real faith in Christ. Just calling oneself a Christian or being a member of a “Christian” society doesn’t make one a true Christian.

Self-defense does not inherently mean killing. Even the use of potentially deadly means of defense does not mean that the defender intends to kill the offender, not even if the death of the offender is a probable result.

If a woman knew that a rapist had no intent to do her any physical injury, she would not be justified in using a probably deadly means of defending herself. But how can she read the mind of a rapist, who has already gone far past the limits of acceptable conduct?

Death from rape is rather rare. But how can a particular woman know what more evil is in the mind of the man attacking her? She is entitled to use whatever she can to stop the attack. It’s unlikely that she will have a chance to carefully choose among means of defending herself. She has to use whatever is available that seems like it might be effective.

Analysis of thousands of accounts of rape indicate that strong resistance without deliberately attempting to injure the rapist, is usually the method of stopping a rape most likely to succeed. Screaming and yelling, by diverting the rapist’s attention from what he is after to her mouth and throat, is not effective, unless the attack is in the immediate presence of others who are not “in” on the attack, and more likely to result in severe injury or death (from choking and neck injury).

Personal forgiveness of the perpetrator is to get it off one’s own back and does not preclude cooperation with and encouragement of the prosecutor. Hatred harms the hater, not the one hated. The hated person may not even be aware of the hater’s hate.

Sure, lump all those who claim to be Christians together. Ignore the hundreds of denominations (divisions) among those claiming to be Christians. Ignore the thousands of differing interpretations of the Bible even among those who claim to believe it without reservations. Ignore the difference between the nation of Israel (Old Testament) and the church of Jesus Christ.

While we’re at it, lump all non-Christians together. They all reject the Bible, so they’re all the same at root. Mao Zedong wasn’t a Christian and didn’t claim to be one. He was a non-Christian. If you’re a non-Christian, you’re just like Mao Zedong. There.

Pol Pot wasn’t a Christian and didn’t claim to be one. He was a non-Christian. If you’re a non-Christian, you’re just like Pol Pot. There.

Genghis Khan wasn’t a Christian and didn’t claim to be one. He was a non-Christian. If you’re a non-Christian, you’re just like Genghis Khan. There.

Attila the Hun wasn’t a Christian and didn’t claim to be one. He was a non-Christian. If you’re a non-Christian, you’re just like Attila. There.

37. Written by Paul
    on February 3, 2011 at 10:45 am

“Yes, if she has real faith in Christ.”

How many times have you been raped, again?

38. Written by Aardvark
    on February 12, 2011 at 2:20 pm

I can’t believe how angry people are getting over this guy’s opinions. Spoiler: Rape is not inherently “wrong” or “evil.” Nothing is. Morals are subjective opinions.

Do I like personally rape? No. But its just my opinion and I can admit that. Someone who rapes is no better or worse than I am. There is no magic sky daddy that makes human actions good or evil. But if pretending you are “better” or “more human” than someone else makes you feel better, then that’s all right too I guess.

Being disgusted by rape doesn’t mean it is evil anymore than a vegan being disgusted by someone eating a cow instead of a carrot makes meat eating evil.

39. Written by Christabel
    on March 8, 2011 at 10:23 pm

Alright, this post is absolutely revolting. And from what I read this is a guy posting? Maybe he would like to be raped up his ass, and then discuss how bad rape really is.
    Rape isn’t that bad? Really? And you sadly call yourself a Christian. Another pathetic right wing hypocrite. And you would really compare rape with a divorce? They are two completely different things. And the fact that you say Christian women can take more than atheist women..wow…you make me want to puke, you disgusting pig. This post absolutely fueled my rage. You are an absolute fucking idiot.

And Aadvark, you are as much as a fucking idiot as this poser for Christ. You think that rape is not inherently wrong? So raping a child isn’t inherently wrong, just in some people’s opinion? Things are /not/ all relative, that is just the opinion of some pathetic philosophers. Rape, murder, abuse, those things are inherently evil because of the damage they do, and that’s not just an opinion. With your logic, anyone should be allowed to do whatever they like, because all opinions and beliefs are subjective. I really can’t believe how you just trivialized something like rape. And the way you completely degrade humanity by saying that no one can ever be better or more human than a rapist. If that is the case, then what is the point of living, if people can never reach a better of state of being?
    Really you need to get your head out of your ass.
    You must think that child pornography is also not inherently evil, and that people should be allowed to do it if that’s what they believe.

40. Written by rekler
    on August 4, 2011 at 6:17 am

If it is a man being raped that’s loathsome and should be punished by death.

If it is a woman well women deserve it and are made for that purpose so yeah, get over it.

41. Written by labellestronza@boostmobile.blackberry.com
    on August 28, 2011 at 5:07 pm

I am a 27 year old woman. I have been raped when I was 15. I was not a virgin. I don’t think its that big a deal. I didn’t fight back so I didn’t get hurt. Unpleasant, yes, makes you more careful? Definitely. Need it be traumatic? Not at all. How many men would be “traumatized” if an unattractive woman raped them? Very few I gather. The problem is most women have low self esteem and the “cinderella complex” and have no guts. So you had an unpleasant sexual encounter, get over it. Now if you were a young child, a virgin, or there is serious physical harm involved, then its pretty bad and you need therapy to get over it. Otherwise, grow a spine ladies!!

• Written by J
      on March 6, 2012 at 5:50 am

Are you from Egypt? The Nile, perhaps?

42. Written by Cynthia
    on February 16, 2012 at 1:59 pm

“How many men would be “traumatized” if an unattractive woman raped them? Very few I gather.”

An even more interesting question to ask would be “How many heterosexual men would be traumatized if a 250 lb male forcibly sodomized them? And to take it further, what if, as a result of that sodomy (alright, it’s a little fantastical to think that a man could become pregnant through sodomy), those men became pregnant and had to carry the spawn of their rapist?”

Frankly, some men might be tempted to kill their assailant. And you know what, if someone raped me, the thought would certainly cross my mind.

Alright. having said that, I do completely agree with you that the trauma resulting from rape is not a one-size-fits all sort of thing. A young girl raised in a culture in which virginity is highly prized would probably be far more traumatized than a sexually mature woman living in a culture in which sex is considered natural. I have to laugh at the poster’s claim that “Christian women can also take a lot more than atheist women.” Christian women raised with the idea that their bodies are sacred temples reserved for their husbands would be at far greater risk for trauma after rape.

43. Written by Cynthia
    on February 16, 2012 at 2:07 pm

“I’m not belittling it but think about it, no amount of suffering from rape is as great as the suffering our Lord suffered on the cross for our sins.”

But, as you so thoughtfully argue, Christians can endure suffering better than others. Hence, with that logic, Jesus’s suffering was not so bad; all he had to do was just worship God in his heart, which I’m sure he did. His pain very endurable.