Evidence for the Bible

From the IAmAnAtheist.com feedback form

Your web-site makes it sound as if there is no evidence that the bible – specifically, the old testament – is true. Do you really feel that there is no evidence that the Bible was written by God?

I mean, I know you don’t think it was written by God. However, nevertheless, are you at the point where you really feel that there is NO evidence that it was?

I am a biblical scholar, and I can offer you some evidence. SO YOU CAN MAKE AN INFORMED DECISION (I just got finished informing an atheist (with advanced degrees); he is no longer an atheist; do you really think we have no arguments up our sleeves?

I have found no compelling evidence that the Bible was written by God. I do know that many Bible-believing people have arguments “up their sleeves,” and have read a great many of them.

I am definitely interested in hearing what you have to say, and I will gladly share it with the readers of my atheism blog so that all can benefit. In the interest of saving us some time, I would appreciate it if you could start with your most compelling argument. If it truly is compelling to someone unconvinced that God exists, odds are good that I have not heard it.

Addition: I want to draw a distinction between “the Bible is true” and “the Bible was written by God.” I do agree that some of the historical information in the Bible (but not all of it by any means) is likely true.

Posted on August 24, 2010 at 3:06 pm by ideclare · Permalink
In: Bible, Discussion

1. Written by Zach
    on August 24, 2010 at 8:09 pm

Also, there could be a difference between Christianity (and/or Judaism, if we’re mostly talking about the Old Testament) being true and God writing the Bible. Do you mean to say that God wrote the Bible, or that people interpreted God’s words (perhaps incorrectly) in writing the Bible?

2. Written by ed42
    on August 24, 2010 at 9:03 pm

I am also interested in reading EVIDENCE that the bible was written by god.

Are you, biblical scholar, willing to change your mind, if we can show you evidence of the biblical contradictions?

3. Written by Joakim Rosqvist
    on August 25, 2010 at 12:15 am

Another distinction is “the bibible was written by a non-human” vs “the bible was written by God” – even if there was good evidence for a non-human author (which I doubt) it could be an alien teenager playing pranks on us…

4. Written by Steve
    on September 10, 2010 at 9:21 am

Can we make a new law of internet debate? The first side to start writing in all caps automatically loses the debate. This would cause christian apologists to lose about 99% of all debates–or at least, 99% of the debates I’ve ever seen.

5. Written by Kodanshi
    on September 12, 2010 at 10:32 am

I don’t know, Steve. I’ve met one person online who writes in all capitals. He never makes spelling mistakes, uses correct grammar, and can hold himself in a debate. He gives his reason for using all capitals as “IT REPRESENTS THE STRUGGLE OF INTELLIGENCE TO BE HEARD OVER THE ROAR OF IDIOCY.”