Bad reasons for atheism

From the IAmAnAtheist.com feedback form:

My daughter posted your site to her facebook page which gave me the opportunity to read your position.She seems to be quite a fan. I too claimed to be an athiest during part of my youth and I can only share with you my experiences. I was angry and hurt and felt rejected and frankly enjoyed the shock value of telling people of my enlightened opinions and positions. Many of which led me only into more pain and sorrow and increased my burdens in life . My opinions and beliefs changed as I aged and especially after I gave birth to my afore mententioned daughter. I am happy I had the opportunity to grow and learn I was given a receptive heart and spirit. Yes I am a Christian and I raised my daughter in the church. Her rejection began with anger as mine did. I can only pray for her now. And for you too that whatever stumbling block has been placed in the way will be removed.

I agree with you that anger and a desire to shock others is a terrible basis for a personal philosophy. Those who call themselves atheists because they are angry at religion or had a bad experience are, in my mind, just as incorrect as those who call themselves religious because they feel guilty or depressed. The truth of how the universe works is not dependent on one’s emotions.

Personally, I was raised in a religious household but had no negative experiences with religion or the religious community. I became an atheist when in my quest for moral grounding I discovered that atheism made much more sense to me than theism.

I would like to pass along to you my sincere wish that your daughter be able to put aside whatever anger might have spurred her to atheism and consider her philosophy in as reasoned and objective manner as possible (if she has not done so already). Whether she continues to be an atheist or becomes again religious, she will be benefit from having a grounding in reason and clear thought.

I trust that you will love and support your daughter no matter what she decides, and I hope that she realizes what a treasure it is to have a parent who cares for her so much.

Best of luck.

Posted on November 16, 2011 at 8:23 pm by ideclare · Permalink
In: Atheists' problems

1. Written by kjgrh
    on November 26, 2011 at 12:32 pm

It is impossible that there is not a creator. Everything has to come from another thing. That is unquestionable. I would like to know how you think the world was created.

on November 26, 2011 at 8:41 pm

If everything has to come from another thing, then either a) God came from another thing, b) God is not a thing, c) you are incorrect, or d) you are not making yourself clear.

• Written by Anonymous
      on December 1, 2011 at 1:11 pm

So what did God come from?

• Written by Anonymous
        on December 29, 2011 at 5:46 am

Nothing, according to your bible. He made himself. Which is strange, since you argue something can’t come from nothing.

on December 2, 2011 at 9:12 am

God didn’t come from anywhere, God doesnt exist

3. Written by ben the atheist
    on December 9, 2011 at 10:54 pm

The causation arguement is never convincing as soon as they make the assertion god doesn’t need a cause.Why? because he’s god

4. Written by Piet
    on December 15, 2011 at 1:21 pm

To promote skepticism/critical thinking I wrote some questions for the Christian believer. Mefiante from South African Skeptics made a good translation. She is now working at the last part. The most sophisticated questions. Are you able to put the link to these questions at your blog.

Piet – Rotterdam – Netherlands.

The original questions

The translation
    The first one who did this, was Jonathan. This is a good example.

on December 18, 2011 at 9:20 am

Hey, there may be some people have bad reasons for being atheists, but they pale in comparison to the number of people who are religious for bad reasons.

But, anyway, anyone else getting weird vibes from the wording here? First, I think it’s clear that this person might be projecting their own “angry at God/religion” experience onto her daughter, assuming everything else said is true. Secondly, it’s possible that she is viewing her own past as worse/less sincere than it really was because she is seeing a distorted version, through Jesus-colored glasses (note the “claimed to be an atheist”).

But anyway, kjgrh: Ever wonder how we know “everything has to come from another thing” is a good general principle? By observing things within the universe. Do you know what doesn’t make any logical sense? To apply that general principle, inferred based off of our everyday life within the universe, and say that the universe itself must follow the same principle.